21st
Century learning and teaching involves understanding digital literacy from
multiple levels. No one can ignore the
rigor of how digital media plays such an important part of our daily lives from
both perspectives. One ideal compliments
another in that in order to become a more effective teacher one must become a
better learner. Students who have grown
up in the digital age are often more adept at digital literacy than many of the
teachers who use it in the classroom.
Learning
about new technology involves time. Time
to dive in fully, and not just to get your feet wet, but at the pace technology
improves in our modern world, I think it is necessary to dive in headfirst when
contemplating learning a new software or device application. Technology is a meaningful tool that helps
develop our thinking processes going on inside our head. We first need to identify the steps toward
the reasons of wanting to learn new forms of digital literacy. We must focus on the reason why we want to
learn and how it will help us in order to truly engage in the process of
learning the use of new applications.
Without this reasoning, becoming discouraged and deflated happens
relatively soon when the communication between software and understanding
fails.
Much
like a lesson plan outline, I find it best to have an objective and a learning
goal to formulate the intrinsic motivation necessary to push through the
failures and inevitable setbacks that come with learning new games and
programs. When I set out with these
goals in mind, I find the engagement more compelling and I am able to better
self-assess and self-manage my progress.
I do not give up so easily when I can review why I wanted to learn the
application in the first place.
Most
often I use technology as a tool in the classroom to enhance my teaching and to
differentiate instruction. I use
multimedia to leverage both my own learning skills, and also to provide more
connections with my students who are often more entwined with technology than
myself. I could not even describe myself
as an effective teacher without the support of knowing how technology plays
such an important role in 21st century education. Therefore, developing a framework to
incorporate technology in common core standards is just the responsible way to
teach in today’s digital age. Students
respond more and engage more effectively when they can relate and visually
connect to a variety of mediums.
Technology enhances teaching from a one-dimensional domain with
textbooks to a multifaceted world of indexing and imagination with our computer
at hand. This process builds reality in
a much more meaningful way that students can assess their own interest and have
better buy-in to their own learning.
Thematic learning takes on a whole new meaning in the digital world for
students to synthesize multiple sources and make connections that otherwise
might seem impossible without technology.
As
a teacher, this means I must keep pace with digital literacy in order to affect
a difference. These are the attitudes
and thinking that will bring success to our economy and to the business age
that relies so heavily on technological progress. With the rapid pace that technology changes
in its uses we can no longer afford to become overwhelmed with time constraints
associated with a learning curve. We
must hit the ground running and not be afraid to code our own paths.
I
feel that digital literacy goes beyond mere skills of using technology as a
reference to insert pictures into PowerPoint’s and emails. Being literate means that we can teach the
how’s and the why’s of choosing the images and for what reason did we choose
this source or that website. Teachers
can go beyond the scope of cut and paste and begin to have students focus
deeper meaning to the advocacy of why they chose to use the source in their
presentation or their report. We can
teach students how to disseminate facts from certain biases inherit in many
media sites. We can even begin to
compare multiple sources for criticism in more logical formations. And we can do it all with our fingertips in
seconds right in the class without ever having to leave. This provides for improved discussion forums
that can be backed quickly with reliable sources that improve interest and make
for more authentic connections.
Understanding that 21st century education involves both
learning and teaching means I am responsible for both realms. Otherwise I think the line becomes blurred
between who might be the teacher and who might be the student. I would hate to be left behind by my own
students just because I don’t know how to log on!

No comments:
Post a Comment